The annual Municipal Website Awards recognize excellence in customer service, functionality, convenience and government transparency delivered by a municipal website.
Awards are presented in five population categories: under 5,000; 5,001-12,000; 12,001-25,000; 25,001-35,000; and 35,000-plus. (Note: The categories were adjusted in July 2023.)
To enter the contest, chief municipal officials may simply fill out a short online nomination form. The entry deadline was Tuesday, Oct. 31.
Municipal websites are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Clear branding as the official municipal government site, with local government address and hours prominently listed
- Intuitive navigation tools and organization of material
- Robust search function
- Current and timely information
- Availability of public records
- Mobile-friendly or mobile-responsive design
- Resources for residents such as the ability to apply for licenses and permits, pay bills, order documents, and make suggestions
- Tools to promote economic development (e.g., ability to obtain licenses and permits or view list of developable land and vacant sites)
- Information about departments (e.g., key personnel, contact information, office hours, and department mission or purpose)
- Use of social media and tools for online community engagement
- Visual appeal and overall experience
- Previous winners cannot re-enter the content unless their website has undergone a significant redesign.