Who is a member?
Our members are the local governments of Massachusetts and their elected and appointed leadership.
The Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission (CMRPC) is seeking a qualified individual to serve in the position of Business Manager. This position manages and directs accounting activities related to the daily business operations of the CMRPC and ensures that all procurements, payroll and fiscal obligations are met and conducted in accordance with federal, state and local laws. This is an opportunity to work in a dynamic, interdisciplinary, fast-paced and innovative environment with an opportunity for growth.
CMRPC is the Regional Planning Agency (RPA) serving the people who live and work in Worcester, the Blackstone Valley and Central Massachusetts. Our mission is to improve the quality of life for those who live and work in the region. We work toward sound municipal management, sustainable land use, protection of natural resources, roadway, transit and bicycle/pedestrian transportation planning, a diverse housing stock, public safety, economic development, an informed public, and equity and opportunity among people of all backgrounds. CMRPC’s staff includes approximately 35 full-time employees located in the Worcester Central Business District in a transit-accessible and bike-friendly office. Free parking is provided in the attached garage. For further detail on CMRPC please visit www.cmrpc.org.
Job duties include:
• Provides general accounting services for overall Commission operations. Maintains necessary financial records and supportive documents on a current basis, monitors all financial receipts and expenditures, and analyses financial records and transactions.
• Prepares monthly reports for presentation to the Executive Committee.
• Supervises business department and administrative staff including the review and approval of all journal entries, payroll and warrant preparation, including the timely reporting of all local, state and federal financial reports as required by law or request. Trained in Open Meeting Law to ensure the proper posting of agendas and recording of meeting minutes.
• Oversees overall business management which include, but are not limited to: Accounts payable/receivable; budgetary development, monitoring and analysis; payroll; benefit administration; assumes human resource functions as delegated by the Executive Director; performs all other related work as required.
• Develops specialized computerized data and grants management reports as needed by administrative and program staff.
• Assures accounting of funds comply with federal, state and grant regulations (including allowable costs, governmental auditing rules, and subrecipient monitoring and management).
• Develops and maintains cash management system.
Master’s degree in finance, business administration, public administration or closely related field, eight years of progressively responsible finance experience including supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of bachelor’s degree and ten years of experience. Governmental experience a plus.
The successful applicant will demonstrate all or most of the following skills:
• Financial management experience in an organization with multiple funding streams that have defined reporting requirements. This could include governmental entities, education institutions, non-profits and similar organizations.
• Familiarity with governmental grant and contract reporting and audit procedures.
• Thorough knowledge of fund accounting, governmental auditing, and financial reporting. Familiarity with MGL chapter 32B health insurance procedures and practices and Chapter 32 retirement policies, procedures and practices. Thorough knowledge of the federal state and local laws governing personnel management.
• A professional demeanor and a positive “can do” attitude. Ability to work effectively with CMRPC staff, town, federal and state stakeholders and the public.
• Demonstrated supervisory experience.
• Ability to multi-task, work independently, prioritize responsibilities, meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills, ability to use excel, word, online transactions and accounting systems for maximum accuracy and efficiency.
This is a full-time (37.5 hrs/week) position with an excellent state employee and fringe benefits package. Starting salary will range from $75,000 to 92,000 depending on qualifications and experience. This position is exempt under the guidelines of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act.
Resume and letter of interest should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail: Janet A. Pierce, Executive Director, 1 Mercantile St., Suite 520, Worcester, MA 01608. Priority will be given to applications received on or before Feb. 28. This position is open until filled. Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the USA and a valid driver’s license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region. CMRPC is an EOE/AA employer. CMRPC takes pride in the diversity of its workforce and encourages all qualified persons to apply.