Who is a member?
Our members are the local governments of Massachusetts and their elected and appointed leadership.
The Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission (CMRPC) seeks candidates for the full-time (37.5 hours/week) position of Homeland Security Program Coordinator (hereafter Coordinator) within the agency’s Homeland Security Division of its Regional Collaboration and Community Planning Department. S/he will manage emergency preparedness grants, specifically for the Central Region Homeland Security Advisory Council (CRHSAC). This is an opportunity to work in a dynamic, interdisciplinary, and innovative environment with an opportunity for growth.
CMRPC is the Regional Planning Agency (RPA) serving the people who live and work in Worcester, the Blackstone Valley and Central Massachusetts. Our mission is to improve the quality of life for those who live and work in the region. We work toward sound municipal management, sustainable land use, protection of natural resources, efficient and affordable transportation, a diverse housing stock, public safety, economic development, an informed public, and equity and opportunity among people of all backgrounds. CMRPC’s staff includes approximately 35 full-time employees located in the Worcester Central Business District in a transit-accessible and bike-friendly office. Free parking is provided in the attached garage. For further detail on CMRPC please visit www.cmrpc.org and for more information about CRHSAC visit http://www.cmrpc.org/homeland-security.
This is a writing intensive position in which the Coordinator will draft and ensure the completeness of approval documents, scopes of services and equipment specifications for grant funded projects, develop and regularly track performance metrics for grant funded projects, and coordinate all public outreach activities to showcase grant funded initiatives.
Specific duties will include:
• Working with CRHSAC and its committees to develop and implement annual homeland security regional plans, which include projects to train public safety staff, to procure equipment and services, to conduct public safety exercises, to research critical security issues, and to establish systems and protocols to enhance public safety;
• Working with project stakeholders to research and develop project ideas to meet identified gaps in emergency preparedness;
• Completing justification documents necessary for project approvals with state and federal agencies;
• Assisting project stakeholders with the identification of appropriate equipment to meet project goals and completion of specifications for procurement of identified equipment;
• Drafting detailed scopes of services for the procurement of various services needed by stakeholders in the region;
• Assisting in the coordination of monthly CRHSAC meetings and committee meetings;
• Scheduling of events to include identifying appropriate facilities, registration of attendees, and other logistics;
• Providing administrative, budgeting, procurement, and grant compliance services;
• Gathering data and information for grant projects and reports;
• Maintaining inventory for grant funded equipment;
• Developing and implementing performance metrics to evaluate how grant funded projects meet their objectives;
• Reviewing, adjusting, and processing requests from municipal departments for backfill and overtime reimbursement;
• Coordinating grant funded social media platforms, websites, newsletters, and informational booklets; and
• Assisting with other duties as assigned.
Master’s degree in criminal justice, business administration, non-profit management, cybersecurity, public policy, homeland security grant management or emergency management, and a minimum of two years or a Bachelor’s degree with four years of relevant work experience.
The successful applicant will demonstrate all or most of the following skills:
• Strong writing skills with the ability to tailor messages to specific audiences;
• A professional demeanor and a positive “can do” attitude;
• A task-oriented work ethic and excellent attention to detail;
• Ability to analyze and solve problems independently in a resourceful and innovative manner;
• Ability to proactively set priorities and multi-task without compromising attention to detail;
• Excellent time management skills;
• Emergency Management planning, budgeting and coordination skills;
• Understanding of multi-step processes and how to work within them in a team environment;
• Ability to work independently and meet deadlines;
• Strong Microsoft Office skills, particularly Outlook, Excel, and Word; and
• Ability to create and maintain an innovative social media platform.
This is a full-time position with an excellent state employee benefits package. Starting salary will range from $51,000 to $65,000 depending on qualifications and experience. This position is exempt under the guidelines of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act.
Resume and letter of interest should be emailed to: email@example.com or by mail: Janet A. Pierce, Executive Director, 1 Mercantile St., Suite 520, Worcester, MA 01608. Priority will be given to applications received on or before Feb. 28. This position is open until filled. Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the USA and a valid driver’s license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region.
CMRPC is an EOE/AA employer. CMRPC takes pride in the diversity of its workforce and encourages all qualified persons to apply.