The MMA presents its annual Municipal Website Awards at its Annual Meeting & Trade Show each January.
The awards recognize excellence in customer service, functionality, convenience and government transparency delivered by a municipal website.
Awards are presented in four population categories: under 5,000; 5,000-15,000; 15,000-50,000; and 50,000-plus. Judges choose one winner in each population category.
• Past municipal website award winners
Judges evaluate municipal websites based on the following criteria:
- Clear branding as the official municipal government site, with local government address and hours prominently listed
- Intuitive navigation tools and organization of material
- Robust search function
- Current and timely information
- Availability of public records
- Mobile-friendly or mobile-responsive design
- Resources for residents such as the ability to apply for licenses and permits, pay bills, order documents, and make suggestions
- Tools to promote economic development (e.g., ability to obtain licenses and permits or view list of developable land and vacant sites)
- Information about departments (e.g., key personnel, contact information, office hours, and department mission or purpose)
- Use of social media and tools for online community engagement
- Visual appeal and overall experience
The MMA sends a letter to the chief municipal official in each city and town each year with the award nomination information. The entry deadline for the 2018 Annual Meeting is Oct. 27.
NOTE: The entry form must be completed by your community’s Chief Municipal Official.