Who is a member?
Our members are the local governments of Massachusetts and their elected and appointed leadership.
The Division of Local Services on Jan. 24 unveiled a new Municipal Finance Training and Resource Center and related YouTube channel.
Available 24/7, the online resource hosts videos and documents to provide information to municipal officials and others on a variety of topics, including local governance, property taxes and Proposition 2½, motor vehicle excise, municipal finance best practices, collections, accounting and auditing, debt and borrowing, and financial management.
For the Youtube videos, visit www.youtube.com/channel/UCr30466gLRT-ZcDnBQsy8Mg.
The following is a sample of resource titles:
• An Overview of Municipal Management
• The Role and Responsibilities of the Treasurer
• Municipal Finance Glossary
• Personal Property Taxation: Frequently Asked Questions
• Property Tax Exemptions for Organizations: Frequently Asked Questions
• What is New Growth?
• Mass Appraisal and Sales Concepts
• Setting the Tax Rate
• Residential to Commercial, Industrial, and Personal Property (CIP) Shift Calculator
• Introduction to Forecasting
• The Financial Management Team
• The Annual Budget Process Specific to Towns
• Cash Flow Forecasting and Short-Term Borrowing
• Presenting and Funding Major Capital Projects
The division will be updating both resources regularly to add new training options and to refresh content.
The DLS is welcoming questions and suggestions. Email DLS’s Data Analytics & Resources Bureau at DARB@dor.state.ma.us.