Who is a member?
Our members are the local governments of Massachusetts and their elected and appointed leadership.
The administration’s budget and school finance representatives gave a presentation to the MMA Fiscal Policy Committee on Feb. 10 on the school finance provisions in the governor’s budget proposal (H. 1) and on federal aid available to municipalities and school districts.
The panel discussed the various streams of federal funding that directly affect municipal and school operations, including a discussion of the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund (ESSER) and its impact on Chapter 70 required local contributions.
Presenters also identified other streams of available federal funding, outlined the allowable uses of the funding, highlighted when funding authorizations expire, and clarified what happens if the funding isn’t used in its entirety.
The state officials also answered questions from local officials.
State officials on the call included:
• Heath Fahle, Special Director for Federal Funds, Executive Office for Administration and Finance
• Brendan Sweeney, Assistant Director for Federal Funds, Executive Office for Administration and Finance
• Sean Cronin, Senior Deputy Commissioner, Division of Local Services
• Lisa Kryzwicki, Deputy Chief, Data Analytics and Resources Bureau, Division of Local Services
• Bill Bell, Associate Commissioner/Chief Financial Officer, Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
• Rob O’Donnell, Director of School Business Services, Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
• Jay Sullivan, Associate Commissioner, School Finance and District Support Center, Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
• Matt Deninger, Chief Strategy and Research Officer, Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
• Tom Moreau, Assistant Secretary for Policy and Planning, Executive Office of Education
• COVID-Related Federal Funds for Municipalities and Local Education Agencies presentation (634K PDF)
• Committee on Oversight and Reform – Fiscal Year 2021 Reconciliation Act Provisions
• Committee on Oversight and Reform – Committee Print (Providing for reconciliation pursuant to S. Con. Res. 5, the Concurrent Resolution on the Budget for Fiscal Year 2021)