Welcome, Finance Committee Members!
One Winthrop Square, Boston, MA 02110
The Association of Town Finance Committees was founded in 1934 by Danforth Comins of Brookline, who served as its executive secretary from 1944 to 1959. Stuart DeBard of Hingham served in that role from 1960 to 1994. When the Massachusetts Municipal Association was formed in 1979, the ATFC joined as an affiliate group. Since 1994, the MMA has provided administrative and professional support to the ATFC.
The ATFC maintains and publishes The Finance Committee Handbook, organizes educational and professional meetings for finance committee members, and provides, through its affiliation with the MMA, an avenue for member towns and their committee members to influence state government policies that affect cities and towns.
ATFC members account for most of the state’s 294 towns. The goal of the association is to have all eligible Massachusetts town finance committees as members. Membership entitles finance committees to the digital copy of the Massachusetts Finance Committee Handbook, a member rate to attend their annual meetng as well as free trainings during the year. To inquire about membership, please contact Denise Baker at the MMA at (617) 426-7272 ext. 105.
The ATFC’s Governing Board meets several times throughout the year to determine the policy and activites of the ATFC. The Governing Board is made up of 13 members: four elected officers, six directors, and three past presidents. The ATFC president and first vice president also serve as members of the MMA Board of Directors.
ATFC Governing Board for 2018
President: Ira Miller, Sharon
First vice president: Mary McBride, Billerica
Second vice president: Cinder McNerney, Swampscott
Treasurer: Allan Tosti, Arlington
Directors: Brian Boyle, Bolton; Carolyn Brennan, Wilbraham; Mark Love, Paxton; Christine Muir, Dunstable; Mary Jane Mastrangelo, Bourne; John Trickey, Pelham
Past presidents: Jennifer Gonzalez, Holbrook; Joanne Marden, Andover
• Link to Youtube for video of May 2017 ATFC regional seminar
• Click here for handouts from 2017 ATFC Annual Meeting
• For information about upcoming ATFC meetings, see the MMA Events calendar.
Here are some popular features on the MMA website:
- The Local Aid and Finance area of the Resource Library: documents about the state budget, municipal finance rules and guidelines, Proposition 2 1/2, budgeting, and more
- Letters to State Leaders: MMA letters and testimony advocating for the interests of local government on key issues
- Municipal Marketplace: Vendors who specialize in municipal products and services, municipal job ads, and RFPs
- Community Corner: stories about what's happening in other cities and towns, including Mass Innovations from The Beacon
Contact the ATFC
For more information about the Association of Town Finance Committees, contact Senior Member Services Coordinator Denise Baker at the MMA. Or use our convenient form to send a message to her directly.