Who is a member?
Our members are the local governments of Massachusetts and their elected and appointed leadership.
The 2020 MMA Annual Meeting & Trade Show will feature 34 workshops covering the latest developments affecting local government, on topics like cybersecurity, climate change, housing, economic development, human resources issues, transportation, finance and collaboration.
The MMA is continuing its offering – introduced last year – of shorter, compelling, 40-minute workshops on the second day of the Annual Meeting.
There will also be 10 Learning Lab sessions held in the Trade Show on Saturday. Learning Lab topics will be announced soon.
The 2020 MMA Annual Meeting will be held on Jan. 24 and 25 in Boston.
The following are the workshop titles and time slots:
Friday first session, 90 minutes, 2-3:30 p.m.
• Control Your Destiny: Top Tips for Economic Development
• Cybersecurity: What Municipalities Need to Know Now
• Developments and Initiatives in Municipal Finance
• Labor Law Update: New Laws, Recent Cases and Agency Decisions
• Marijuana: New Regulations and Updated Best Practices
• Preparing Your Community for a Changing Climate
• Sharing Services: Solutions for Small Towns
• Social Media: Policies, Ethics and the Law
• Strategies for Recruiting Awesome Employees
• Using Mindfulness to Increase Workplace Engagement and Effectiveness
Friday second session, 75 minutes, 3:45-5 p.m.
• Alcohol and Entertainment: Keys to Local Control via Licensing
• Collaboration: How Three Communities Managed a Gas Crisis
• Countdown to the Census: Steps to a Successful Count
• Municipal Law Update
• Municipal Transportation Finance 101
• New Perspectives on School Finance and Budgeting
• Transform Your Wellness Program: Create a Great Place to Work
• Use Your Voice: Public Speaking and Civility in Local Government
Saturday first session, 40 minutes, 2-2:40 p.m.
• Civil Service: Behind the Curtain
• Housing Production Plans: A Vision for Your Community’s Future
• Newest FCC Preemption: Cable Franchising Fees
• Opioid Use Disorder: Managing and Supporting Employees
• Re-evaluating Your Employee Evaluations
• Renewing the Municipal Energy Landscape
• Riding Into the Future: Innovations in Municipal Transit
• Transparency Basics: Open Meetings and Public Records
Saturday second session, 40 minutes, 3-3:40 p.m.
• All Aboard! Your Guide to Welcoming New Employees and Officials
• Costing the Contract: Knowing Your Negotiation Numbers
• Effective Financing of Parks and Recreation Departments
• Financing Affordable Housing Solutions
• Fostering Connection Between Community and Town Hall
• Municipal Responses to Human Trafficking
• New Strategies to Stabilize and Strengthen Vulnerable Neighborhoods
• Property Sustainability: Protecting Municipal Assets
Workshop descriptions and panelists will be posted later this month and will be published in the Annual Meeting Program Book and the Annual Meeting app.